Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Notes from the desk of Gr-Grandma

Spurred by an article on SFGate, I posed a philosophical (though practical) question to my Grandma. Since this blog is pretty lacking in wisdom, I thought I'd share hers with you.

Since my Grandma is technologically advanced, I emailed her:

I was reading an article in the Chronicle, which makes me ask this:
As a person with life experience and a perspective on the recovery of the Great Depression, what advice would you give to young people with families who are worried about the economy?

This was her response (yes, all caps):

IN ORDER TO GIVE A PHILOSOPHICAL ANSWER, I AM GOING TO PONDER A BIT AND THEN SEND YOU A WRITTEN RESPONSE. AS I STARTED THINKING ABOUT IT, I REALIZED IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO RECALL THAT PERIOD IN HISTORY. SO THERE WILL BE SOME FAMILY HISTORY BEING RECALLED. LOVE GRAMIE

Three days later, a handwritten note arrived:

Advice to young people with families worried about the economy.

Keep informed on what is happening in the financial world and how it might affect your family and community.

Make family plans to adjust spending. Emphasize cooperation. Don't panic. Plan.

Be aware of what might be affecting friends and neighbors. If you can be helpful to others, do so.

Alice F. Kroeck

(photo: January 2009)

5 comments:

Darcy said...

Wonderful, this brought tears to my eyes! Probably because she is my Grandma too, so it touched me, but it is such simple, yet profound advice. And a great picture too!

Bill and Cindy said...

Great advice to consider, no matter what the state of the economy! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sentiments with a practical perspective. Grounded. Nurturing.
Thank you. (When can we expect the
"Go Ask Alice" blog to hit the Net?)

claudia said...

How come I did not inherit that wisdom since I seem to be more into the whine and panic phase of this downturn.

Jen said...

So wise and I love that she sent you a handwritten note, why don't we send those anymore?